MATCH SUMMARY: Sounders FC fight 1-1 home draw with LA Galaxy on Monday night at Lumen Field
Raúl Ruidíaz tied the club’s single-season record with his 17th goal of the season as Sounders FC (17-8-8, 59 points) drew 1-1 with LA Galaxy (13-12- 8, 47 points) Monday evening. at the Field of Lumen. Seattle tops the Western Conference ahead of Sunday’s Decision Day game with the Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place (3:00 p.m. PT / FOX 13+, Prime Video, Univision-Seattle, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM ).
Javier Hernández opened the scoring in the 19th minute when Nick DePuy led Sebastian Lletget’s corner at the feet of the Mexican striker, who was able to complete the effort at close range to put the team away 1-0 .
Seattle equalized the score at the start of the second half thanks to a Ruidíaz’s panenka penalty in the 51st minute. Cristian Roldan won the penalty after being shot inside the box while running down the right flank. Ruidíaz’s goal marked his 17th of the season, tying the one-season club record set by Obafemi Martins in 2014, as well as his 50th in MLS in the regular season.
Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris made his long-awaited return to the pitch after coming on in the second half, making his first appearance for the club in 2021. Morris suffered an ACL tear on February 20 while ‘he was on loan at Swansea City.
Brian Schmetzer’s team wraps up their 2021 regular season campaign on Sunday, November 7 for a Decision Day game with the Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place (3:00 p.m. PT / FOX 13+, Prime Video, Univision-Seattle, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM), with the 2021 Cascadia Cup in play.
• With 59 points (17-8-8), Seattle leads the Western Conference with one game to play, one point ahead of Sporting Kansas City (two games to be played) and the Colorado Rapids (one game to be played). The Rave Green closed the regular season with a Decision Day clash at BC Place against Whitecaps FC on November 7.
• The Sounders FC are now 11-10-12 against the Galaxy in the regular season, including a 6-4-6 record at Lumen Field.
• With his 50th career MLS goal in the regular season, Raúl Ruidíaz also tied the club’s record for Sounders FC with his 17th goal of the season, tying Obafemi Martins’ mark of 2014. The Peruvian is tied for second rank among MLS scorers this season, one goal behind NYCFC’s Valentin Castellanos. He also has eight career regular-season goals against the Galaxy, the most of any Seattle player. It was Ruidíaz’s first appearance for Seattle since September 29 after worsening a hamstring injury while on international duty last month.
• Jordan Morris made his first appearance of the season, entering as a substitute in the 60th minute. Morris suffered an ACL tear in February while on loan at Swansea City.
• Tonight marked Cristian Roldan’s 200th career regular-season appearance, tying Brad Evans for the third time in club history. Osvaldo Alonso ranks first with 277 appearances and Stefan Frei is second with 236.
• Midfielder Nicolás Lodeiro made his first start since September 11 after returning to the field on Tuesday at LAFC. Lodeiro’s lingering knee injury this season has forced him to compete in just nine regular season games in 2021.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 – LA Galaxy 1
Monday, November 1, 2021
Location: Lumen Field
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
Assistants: Cameron Blanchard, Jeff Hosking
Fourth official: Ramy Touchan
VAR: José Carlos Rivero
Attendance: 32 781
Weather: 50 degrees and cloudy
LAG – Javier Hernández (Sebastian Lletget, Nick DePuy) 19 ‘
MER – Raúl Ruidíaz (penalty) 51 ‘
MER – Kelyn Rowe (attention) 66 ‘
LAG – Jonathan Bond (caution) 81 ‘
LAG – Samuel Grandsir (attention) 90 ‘+ 1’
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Yeimar, Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou (Shane O’Neill HT), Brad Smith (Nicolas Benezet 73 ‘); João Paulo, Kelyn Rowe, Cristian Roldan, Nicolás Lodeiro (Fredy Montero 73 ‘); Raúl Ruidíaz (Jordan Morris 66 ‘)
Unused substitutes: Stefan Cleveland, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Léo Chu, Danny Leyva, Josh Atencio
The Galaxy – Jonathan Bond; Julian Araujo, Derrick Williams, Nick DePuy, Oniel Fisher; Rayan Raveloson, Jonathan dos Santos (Sacha Kljestan 78 ‘), Sebastian Lletget (Victor Vazquez 63’), Efrain Alvarez (Samuel Grandsir 63 ‘), Kevin Cabral, Javier Hernandez (Daniel Steres 88’)
Unused substitutes: Niko Hamalainen, Ethan Zubak, Jonathan Klinsmann, Adam Saldana, Dejan Joveljic