Henan affected by flooding in China to receive nearly $ 300 million in emergency aid and donations
BEIJING, July 21 (Reuters) – Numerous Chinese companies, insurers and a state-owned bank on Wednesday said they had offered donations and emergency aid to local governments in flood-stricken Henan Province in the amount of 1.935 billion yuan ($ 299 million).
Henan, a province of about 109 million people, has been hit by storms since the weekend, killing 12 so far, bursting large riverbanks and flooding streets in a dozen cities. , damaging motor vehicles and property, and disrupting the daily lives of millions of people. Read more
More than 20 life and property and casualty insurers have said they have opened a fast lane for emergency compensation and insurance payments, according to their respective statements posted on the Henan Insurance Association website.
Three local branches in the rain-stricken city of Xuchang of the Agricultural Development Bank of China are preparing an emergency loan of 1.1 billion yuan, according to a statement from the Beijing-based political bank sent to Reuters on Wednesday. .
Tech giants and listed companies have also rushed to offer donations, with Alibaba Group (9988.HK), Jack Ma’s foundation, and his fintech-affiliated Ant Group offering to donate. combined 250 million yuan.
Tencent Holdings (0700.HK), ByteDance, Meituan (3690.HK), Didi Chuxing and a unit of Taiwanese Foxconn (2317.TW), which operates multiple factories, each said they would donate 100 million yuan .
($ 1 = 6.4715 yuan Chinese renminbi)
(This story corrected Foxconn’s Reuters instrument code for 2317.TW in the last paragraph)
Reporting by Cheng Leng, Yingzhi Yang and Ryan Woo; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell
Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.